Background

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A post about holes

UPDATE:
We're back from the hospital. Everything went just fine, although none of it was any fun. I'll blog about it tomorrow (you know, like about how I hung myself over the ultrasound table so Levi would nurse and quit flailing during his Renal US... things like that) but the good news is that all signs point to him being reflux-free. Can I hear an AMEN?!

Original Post:
Levi has recently learned how to put things into holes

Small holes
big holes
holes of all sizes

Problem is, he doesn't yet know which things go into which holes...

and a problem like that can render certain toys completely (albeit temporarily) useless

Speaking of holes, today at 1:00 (we changed that from 2:00 to 1:00 yesterday to better accommodate a potential afternoon nap) Levi will be catheterized for his VCUG, Renal Ultrasound, and Urinalisis. The whole process should take about 45 minutes, or so I'm told. In the interest of informing the public, I should probably give a little background.

Our son is not circumcised. We chose to keep his little body just the way God created it at birth. I could go on about this for a while, and if you want to know more about our decision, just ask, but I have more to say about it than I choose to share in this one post.

His uncircumcised state, however, has ZERO contribution to the recent UTI he came down with, which is exactly why they're running the test they're running. You may have heard that non-circumcised boys tend to get UTI's more easily than their circumsized counterparts, however this is only true for boys whose foreskin has separated from the glans, allowing bacteria to build up under a foreskin which is not kept properly clean. Levi's has not separated - and likely won't until the age of 2 or 3. So, since it's so odd that he got a UTI in the first place, they need to go in and make sure that the cause was not something bigger - namely urine refluxing from the bladder back into the kidneys.

Whew.

It's not the procedure I'm particularly dreading, it's the catheterization. I've been through this process with him three times (two of which were, in my opinion, completely unnecessary, but that's water under the bridge now) and believe me, it's not pleasant.

Please lift our little boy up in prayer today. Daddy is very busy making cheese at work (he's been there since 3am) and mommy needs to be strong. Strong enough to hold down 4 limbs of an angry one-year old, strong enough to remain calm, and strong enough to nurse him back to comfort afterwords. That last part is the part I'm looking forward to.

This can't be over soon enough.

No comments: