Background

Friday, July 2, 2010

There are many things more boring than bran

And I should know, because I love bran.
Here is the recipe for the (dairy free) bran muffins I made this morning for Levi to enjoy. Oh, well, yes, Jonathan and I will probably enjoy them as well

1C boiling water
3 C wheat bran (I use hogston's Mill)
2 1/2 C flour (I used 1C wheat, 1.5C white)
2 eggs, beaten
2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
2C buttermilk (I used 2C almond milk plus 2 TBS vinegar to "sour" it.)
1C brown sugar
1/2C butter or shortening (obviously, I used shortening)

preheat oven to 400
Combine the boiling water with ONE cup of the bran. Let sit.
Cream the sugar and butter/shortening
To the eggs, add the soaked bran, the remaining bran, and the buttermilk/milk substitute
combine the previous mixture with the creamed sugar/butter and add the remaining dry ingredients.
scoop into muffin tins, filling 2/3 full.
makes 24 regular size muffins, or in my case, 12 HUGE muffins, and 12 mini muffins.
Alternately, you can refrigerate this batter and bake it as you need it. It will last about 4 days in the 'fridge.

Enjoy - pictures to come!


No comments: