Background

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Nap time might as well be sacred

Nap time is MY time

You know what I mean.

When he naps, I relax my shoulders and that annoying kink in my neck goes away

When he naps I do those things that pile up on my list all morning long - the things that are difficult to accomplish with a one-year-old squarely attached to my thigh (literally at times). Things like emptying the dishwasher, making large batches of levi-friendly food for the freezer, washing clothes, washing diapers, or starting on dinner. normal, daily, things.

When he naps I regain just a bit of my sanity - a bit of my pre-mom freedom.

When he naps I take care of myself. I eat a meal. I drink water. I use the bathroom - in peace. I blog. Sometimes (gasp!) I shower AND style my hair.

So, here's my beef - Back when Levi was 6 months old he took two 40 minute naps a day (all together now: NO WAY!) As he reached 11 months he was taking two 1.5 hour naps a day (huge sigh of relief) and as he's nearing 13 months he'd really like to take a good 2 hour nap from 8:30-10:30- which I certainly enjoy - and then a teeny tiny 30 minute nap from 1:30-2:00. A nap that certainly won't allow him to last until 7:00pm. Oh, and I should mention he wakes in the morning at 6am.

So, what do I do? Has the inevitable finally come? Is it time to drop that morning nap? Or do I merely shorten it by waking him after a half hour or so. I should preface this by saying that for convenience sake we've forced him to skip a morning nap once or twice and the afternoon nap has never been any longer. So, I'm stumped.

Advice - Anyone??


(This is the most recent picture I have of Levi sleeping (outside the car). Since then - and I've tried numerous times) he's awoken as I open the door to his room. Don't have to worry about burgalars with this baby, a creek in the floor will wake him up.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You could try waking him from the morning nap about 20 mins early and then try for an earlier afternoon nap, or later, whichever works better. Or you can try pushing the morning nap later by 10 minutes every day until he's starting that long nap closer to noon. Do you have a copy of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child? You can borrow mine if you don't.

Anonymous said...

Well hopefully no creeks are running through your house. I dunno what to tell you about the nap thing, except that I'd like a nap right about now!

Melissa K. said...

Joyce, I've read the book cover to cover, but it didn't belong to me and I gave it back. I'd love to borrow your copy and reference a few things if you don't mind.

Unknown said...

Certainly! Are you going to be at MW tomorrow morning?