Background

Monday, June 15, 2009

To my 8lb boy

My little Levi -
well, you aren't so little anymore I guess. You were born at 7 and a half pounds and today, after dipping to nearly 6lb 13oz, you're at a full 8 pounds. Wow.
I should preface that by first acknowledging that we've worked VERY hard to get you there. Yes, mommy and daddy have been burning the midnight oil to fatten you up. You see, little Levi, you were born with a very poor suck. Since your suck stimulates my milk production (and, as I've noted, you suck quite poorly) I have very little milk. Needless to say this has been a HUGE anxiety producer for your mommy. I have been at milkworks (our local lactation consultant clinic) nearly every day weighing you between nursings. It has been a TON of work. We've also been "triple feeding" you. Do you know what that is? Well, first I breastfeed you for 10 minutes on each side. (probably my favorite part of the whole gig, even though it HURTS due to that poor suck and poor latch of yours), then I give you another 1-2 ounces of formula or breastmilk by bottle or by syringe - whichever you'll take. IF you settle down at that point I hook myself up to the milking machine (aka the hospital grade pump I've been renting weekly) and extract what little I can from myself to give you at your next feeding. It's utterly exhausting (no pun intended). But Levi, we'll do anything for you little buddy.

Your Daddy has been intimately involved with this whole process. He's up with us each night even though he has to go to work each day. I don't know where we'd be right now without the love and support of your daddy. What a blessing he is to us - I think you'll agree.

Mommy has been so frustrated lately and most of that has revolved around your inability to nurse. Why is it that so many women think this comes naturally? It really truely doesn't. Only a week ago we were struggling to get you enough to eat (because I certainly wasn't producing enough) when along came a blessing from the Lord. My dear friend Dani, who has a 4 month old of her own, has offered to share her milk with you! So now, you get everything I can make for you, plus some of hers as well. Ever since she came last Wednesday you have been a MUCH happier camper. You sleep better, you have happy awake time, you are much more of a joy to be around. Praise God for answering our prayers for you to have a full tummy - even though it wasn't the answer I expected.

Yes indeed, your little frame is filling out quickly. You are still sleeping in the bassenet in our room and we love to hear you snore at night. Why? well, it reminds your mommy that you're there & breathing. She's a worry wart you know. Oh Levi, how we love you. I'll write to you as often as you'll sleep here in the sling & let me type. Now though you're waking & it's time to eat. Suck it down my little angel, we'll get better at this together!

1 comment:

Christina said...

the bright side? you can fully tell him that he "doesn't suck" and mean it!

oh meenue! I wish you the best, I have heard how hard it is to get the whole feeding thing down. I can't relate, but I feel for you. Thank heavens for your friend!